Saturday, January 26, 2008

The perfect city





A Sydney cabbie asked us where we were from. "San Francisco? Our twin city!" he remarked at our answer.

Sydney and SF are often compared to one another; both are scenic coastal towns with similar cultural and culinary scenes (and iconic bridges, of course). I’m not sure this is entirely fair to Sydney: At its heart, San Francisco is still a shabby frontier town, no matter how expensive it gets or how respectable it pretends to be. Sydney, on the other hand, is strangely perfect. The city is safe, clean, modern and sprawling, with pleasant contemporary architecture, good infrastructure, and determinedly cheerful inhabitants. It’s scorching hot in the summer (that would be January), and there’s an almost complete lack of graffiti or panhandlers. It’s Scottsdale with a harbor.

Sydney is pretty quiet for a city of four million--most businesses and retail outlets close up around 5pm. Sydneysiders, though, treat themselves to one night a week to stay out 'late': stores are open till 9pm on Thursdays.

I can’t offhand think of two cities that are more different from each other than Mumbai and Sydney; Jacqueline and I experienced some real culture shock in flying directly from the former to the latter. In Sydney we were thrilled with the novelty of being able to drink tap water and eat food without getting violently ill, and relieved at the general ease of life here. But the calm and cleanliness and efficiency of Sydney seem…well, colorless. And empty. I felt like an ingrate for not appreciating it or embracing it.

3 comments:

Mary Hardiman said...

Keith and Jacqueline,
My Mother and I have been enjoying reading about your adventures since we met on the MS Eugenia. Thank you for sending me the tractor pictures. I am leaving for India (alone) on April 1st. If you have the time and you have any suggestions....I would love to hear from you. My Mom and I still laugh about our Gordoon's party at Abu Simbel. Best wishes. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.

el walto said...

I spy lazy kangaroos!

Keith said...

hi Mary... Abu Simbel/Lake Nasser was definitely a highlight of our time in Egypt.

We'd love to talk to you about India; we have a good backlog of recommendations & cautionary tales to share. We'll email you when we get back to SF.

PS hi to your mom!