Sunday, February 17, 2008

Polynesian tango


Every February Easter Island hosts the Tapati Festival, consisting of numerous Polynesian cultural performances and competitions. It's Easter Island's single biggest tourist draw (en route, we noticed the festival schedule and brochure were placed in our airline seat pockets). Luckily we had made our hotel reservations last July: almost every room on the island was booked for the month.

Competitions (surfing, turtle races etc) were held during the day, but in keeping with Hanga Roa's semi-nocturnal lifestyle, dances and performances didn't take place until well after 10pm. I fought my latenight exhaustion and wandered down to the fairgrounds on two separate nights. The main stage was decked out in classic Polynesian kitch (and anyone who knows me, knows I'm a complete sucker for Polynesian kitch). Looking very Ferdinand & Imelda Marcos, the two emcees arrived with great fanfare. Imelda was decked out in a glowing chartreuse mumu and feather boa; Ferdinand wore a classic tropical combo of white slacks/hawaiian shirt with a massive feather headdress. Throughout the night they addressed the exuberant crowd first in Rapanui, then in Spanish. A few cursory sentences in English were offered to those of us gringos in attendance.

It was impressive seeing dozens of people on stage, drumming clapping and stomping, performing variations of the Hakka in perfect synchronization. It was also interesting seeing the degree to which South American music had influenced the local culture: the island-wide tango competition(!) was a big deal to the locals. The dancers' moves were formal/traditional tango, and though the music's tempo and rhythm were perfect for the tango-dancing couples, the instrumentation (guitar etc) was explicitly Hawaiian. Islanders had also adopted the bandoneon; this accordion-like instrument gave a strange zydeco feel to many of the dances and musical numbers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys, I know you're heading home pretty soon, just wanted to say how much lisa & I have enjoyed reading your blog! we're inspired to do something like this ourselves;)
I know you have plenty of other stories to tell...we look forward to hearing them in SF!

g&l

el walto said...

Cool night shot!

Have a safe journey home and please count me amongst the throngs that await to be regaled with stories of your many adventures – preferably while alcohol is being consumed :)

Unknown said...

Keith,

Keyvan shared your blog with me and I am so damn impressed with your travels! My turn next I hope!

You look great and I'm really happy for you and Jackie. Safe travels home.

@el walto: Hiya! Long time no hear!!! What have you been up to?

Anonymous said...

hey!
Where is my photo of you standing next to a head :(

lydia

el walto said...

Depends on who's askin' :P

Who's sassafrasscat? I'm thinking Joseph.